Yes, you read that right. I will be a married man in 25 days. It is a great feeling and I am ready. Everyday something occurs to make it seem more real than the yesterday. This weekend Scott moved out and we moved Heather's stuff out of storage into my (soon to be our) house. I have been sleeping on her bed for weeks now. Of course, if you saw my previous bed, it is a major upgrade. But now the rest of her stuff is being moved in and we are setting it up. It looks more and more like our house.
Let me say a quick word about Scott. I don't remember who told me 4 years ago Scott was moving to Durham. I remember the day in the coffee shop when I talked to him. I think the conversation was like, "You movin to Durham?" "Yeah." "Me too, wanna be roommates?" "Sure." Now it is four years later and we have lived in four different places together. To find someone you can put up with and more, enjoy the company of, for four years is rare. I have been blessed to have Scott as a roommate. There were many tough days early in my time here, where having a friend around was a great comfort. Scott, I will miss you. Let's be honest, Heather won't enjoy watching football, basketball, South Park, Chapelle Show, and the Office with me as much as you did. Now I get to watch Better Off Ted and So You Think You Can Dance. Well, Heather and I can snuggle while we watch it.
With 25 days left until the wedding, most of Heather's and my conversations are about the wedding, moving stuff, showers, honeymoon, finances, and just about everything else we can think to discuss. I am finding coming together with her to be good. Good in that I am not alone in these decisions. I am not just living for myself but for another also. There seems to be something Christlike in living that way. She sees the world from a different point of view and sees things that I would miss. Now, I get to enjoy her insights into this world. I have always enjoyed playing with numbers but now instead of dreaming about a car, a house, or a vacation, I am dreaming about our house, our car, and our vacation.
During the planning process, I have been impressed by how hard she works and the planning she puts into things. This wedding is going to go as well as a wedding can because of her hard work. The food everyone will enjoy will be because of her. The flowers, the dresses, the colors, the candles, the centerpieces at the reception, and all the other accents to this special day will be because of her hard work and foresight. I am a planner so I appreciate how she is taking care to think of everything that she can for this day. Thanks beautiful for everything you are doing.
I have found that I enjoy life more with her than without her. I am enjoying seeing her lamps in our house and knowing that one day she will get to join those lamps. I also look forward to when we can do other stuff (he says shifty eyed). Because this is my friend who stands up for me when I need her to, who encourages me when I need that, who looks at me like she likes me even though she knows me, and who pays attention to my wants, needs, and hopes also. So in some ways, 25 days seems like an eternity because my friend has to drive home at night instead of staying to play. In other ways, I feel like a kid about to enter the door to the candy store.
25 days and counting....
2 comments:
It's good to see you posting again.
I look forward to hearing the good things.
We are looking forward to it for you, for differet reasons of course. ;)
Anna-Kate says "give me cousins!"
Post a Comment