In several conversations lately, persons have asked the question, "What do I do with my life?" Most of our lives as early adults has involved persons telling us where to go or what to do. Now we have to make the decision ourselves. How do we do this? What are some good steps to take down this road?
In our Sunday School class, we are going through "The Purpose Drive Life." It attempts to answer the question, "What on Earth am I here for?" This book is not trying to answer a specific question like the first one was, but a general question which all humanity asks. "No one asked me if I wanted to be born, so why am I here?" We have to trust that God has a purpose for our life. God has made us with a plan to do something worthwhile here on earth. For Christians, both the general and specific questions starting place is God. God has a plan. When will you show us your plan God?
Abraham was told, "Go to a place I will show you." This is difficult to hear. How can I go somewhere when I don't know where I am going? We trust that we are going somewhere. The place we are going is pursuit of God.
The specific question "What do I do with my life?" must start with God. I have found that I also look at the talents and gifts he has given me. If I work well with my hands, God probably will use that at some point. If I relate well to people, God will probably use that gift. This is not the definitive answer. God has a plan and that plan may be to use us in an area we have never gone.
Trying to figure out what to do with life is a hard process. Even my discussion above points to the awkwardness of trying to figure out where to go. How do you go about figuring what to do with your life? If you are asking this question it is a good sign because you want to do something with this gift called life. Wasting life is not an option.
I would enjoy hearing how others deal with this question.
1 comment:
I know what you should do. (http://presidentialsearch.gardner-webb.edu/). ;)
Post a Comment